Crews fight fire at Lumber Jacks in LITH

(Josh Peckler –
Crystal Lake Fire Department Lieutenant John Volenec looks over the smoldering remains of wood that caught fire Saturday at Lumber Jacks in Lake in the Hills. According to the fire department, the cause of the fire was self combustion.

LAKE IN THE HILLS – Piles of mulch and firewood caught fire Saturday morning at the Lumber Jacks location at 8115 Pyott Road.

Part of the piles self-combusted, Crystal Lake Fire Chief Robert Kohley said.

“As mulch breaks down, it can generate heat,” Kohley said.

The fire is not suspicious and no one was hurt, he said.

Lake in the Hills police called in the fire about 3:45 a.m. Crews cleared the scene at 6:45 p.m.

“The piles were a pretty good size,” he said. “It required a bit of time to move the non-involved material away from the stuff that was on fire.”

There are no hydrants in the area, so the Crystal Lake Fire Department used a tanker to bring water to the scene.



Reader Poll

How far will the Blackhawks advance in the playoffs?
Lose in first round
Lose in second round
Lose in conference final
Lose in Stanley Cup Final
Win Stanley Cup Final