MCC classes aim to teach photography
CRYSTAL LAKE – McHenry County College’s Continuing Education Department offers a new Photography Certificate of Completion program this winter in which students can advance their photography skills and even prepare for a career in the photography business.
Participants will receive expert instruction from the professional staff at Chicago Photo Safaris. Any type of camera is acceptable, with an SLR providing the best results.
The program consists of four core classes and a choice of electives designed to meet the 76-hour requirement for a Certificate of Completion. Class offerings will vary each semester. Space is limited, so early registration is recommended.
The following classes are available:
• Eagle Safari: Join the group for eagle viewing and photography on the Mississippi River. This safari departs from Rock Valley College in Rockford. Transportation from Rock Valley College is provided. Location details will be provided the week of the safari. A longer lens camera (at least a 200 mm lens) is recommended for this class. This course takes place from 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. Jan. 5. The cost is $89. Use course ID: NPH S12 001 when registering.
• Basic Digital Photography: This class will show people how to create and care for digital photos. The basics of digital photography will be covered, and participants will learn elements of exposure control, photographing people, low-light photography, plus close-ups and action shots. The how-to of sharing images and storing photos is included. Bring a camera (any type of digital camera is suitable) and gain the confidence to take great photos. The class will take place from 6 to 8:30 p.m. on Mondays, Feb. 18 through March 2, in Room A342. The cost is $99. Use course ID: NPH S13 002 when registering.
• F-Stops and Shutter Speeds: Learn how to easily use the settings on a camera to get the effects and results desired in photos. The class takes place from 6 to 8 p.m. Feb. 21 in Room C118 at MCC. The cost is $59. Use course ID: NPH S11 002 when registering.
• Photoshop for Photographers: Photoshop is a program that can take a lifetime to learn. Fortunately, there are fundamental elements and some tricks of the trade that make this program extremely valuable for anyone. Learn how to master these basics, and then the rest of the program will be easier to learn. This course takes place from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Wednesdays, Feb. 27 through March 20, in Room A121. The cost is $129. Use course ID: NPH S16 002 when registering.
• Chicago Botanical Gardens Photo Safari: Capture significantly diverse species at one of the premiere gardens in the United States. The safari includes an instructional presentation at the Botanical Center. Meeting location arrangements will be made the week before the safari. The class takes place from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. May 4. The cost is $89. Use course ID: NPH S15 005 when registering.
The certificate program includes four core classes and 11 electives that fit an individual’s goals and interests. Students must submit a portfolio of images for approval to qualify for the certificate.
To register, call the MCC Registration Office at 815-455-8588. For information, call Tracy Berry at 815-455-8758 or Dori Smith at 815-455-8559.