Richmond fire blamed on lighter

RICHMOND – A lighter that was too close to an oxygen tank caused a fire that left a Richmond apartment uninhabitable, the Richmond fire chief said.

The Richmond Fire Department was called at 2:53 a.m. Monday to Silver Trees Condominiums, 5901 Milwaukee Ave.

No one was injured in the fire, but it destroyed the unit and caused smoke damage to two adjoining units. Damage was estimated at $40,000 in estimated damage, according to a news release.

"It's not the first time something like that has happened," Chief Rick Gallas said. "In the wee hours of the morning things happen."

The resident responded well, though, Gallas said. She got out of the building and made sure the other residents were out, too.

The McHenry County Housing Authority owns the building.