Mostly Cloudy
74įFMostly CloudyFull Forecast

12-year-old boy arrested in Minn. school lockdown

Published: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 12:14 p.m.†CDT
Caption
(Brian Peterson)
Students are ushered back to New Prague Middle School in New Prague, Minn., Wednesday, March 20, 2013 after the all clear was issued followinga scare, after authorities responded to a 911 call concerning an žactive shooterÓ at the middle school, but a staff member later said everyone is safe and there is no danger inside the building. The 911 call in which a caller claimed several people had been gunned down at the school was likely a hoax, Scott County Sheriff Kevin Studnicka said said Wednesday. (AP Photo/The Star Tribune, Brian Peterson)

NEW PRAGUE, Minn. (AP) — Authorities in Minnesota have arrested a 12-year-old boy in what they say was a prank call that prompted a school lockdown.

The middle school in New Prague, a small town about 45 miles southwest of Minneapolis, was locked down after the 911 call came in about 8 a.m. Wednesday.

Scott County Sheriff Kevin Studnicka says the caller claimed there was a person armed with an AK-47 in a school building, and that a few people had been shot.

New Prague Police Chief Mark Vosejpka says police determined there was no threat within about half an hour, and quickly zeroed in on the 12-year-old. He didn't say what led authorities to the boy.

The school canceled classes for the rest of the day but students are expected to return Thursday.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Northwest Herald.

Reader Poll

What's your level of optimism regarding the upcoming Bears season?
Very optimistic
Slightly optimistic
Not very optimistic
It's going to be a disaster