McHenry County judge to consider other evidence in sex abuse case
WOODSTOCK – Prosecutors asked a McHenry County judge to allow allegations of other incidents of criminal sexual behavior into the trial of a man accused of sexual contact with children.
Michael Scott Reck, 39, of Cary was charged in January with 13 counts of various sex crimes. The most serious charge – predatory criminal sexual assault of a child – is a Class X felony and punishable by between six and 30 years in prison.
Judge Sharon Prather will consider whether to admit into trial allegations that Reck had sexual contact with children in incidents for which he is not charged. After a hearing Thursday, Prather said she would issue her ruling Aug. 21.
The incidents involve alleged sexual conversations or contact with children, both boys and girls, in either Wisconsin or Cook County. Assistant State’s Attorney Sharyl Eisenstein said Reck touched the children’s genitals, performed sex acts on them or showed them pornography.
Reck’s defense attorney, Henry Sugden, argued that admitting those alleged incidents was a “slippery slope,” but Eisenstein said they showed Reck’s pattern of abusing young children.
The local crimes for which he is charged involve four alleged victims, ages 4 to 14 years old. The incidents are said to have happened at his home in Cary.
When the judge asked Reck’s attorney what defense he planned to put on at the trial, Sugden said, simply, “he’s not guilty, he didn’t do it.” That statement caused the mother of one of the alleged victims and others to storm out of the courtroom.
Reck previously was found mentally fit to stand trial. His jury trial is set for Aug. 26.