Detour: Hill Road bridge, closed almost 2 years, to reopen this week
We start out this week with the reopening of a road and a bridge near Richmond that has been closed for almost two years.
• HILL ROAD: Workers are putting the final touches on the asphalt and landscaping of the Hill Road Bridge.
The bridge over the north branch of Nippersink Creek is expected to reopen on or before the end of the week. The 55-year-old bridge was closed in January 2012 because of failing structural elements.
Work was supposed to take place last year, but complications with the bidding pushed it back.
• LAWRENCE ROAD BRIDGE: Lawrence Road is down to one lane with a temporary traffic signal as workers replace the bridge over Piscasaw Creek. The project is scheduled to be finished at the end of October.
Now that we have bridges out of the way, let’s review the large number of projects dealing with or connecting to Route 31.
• ALGONQUIN WESTERN BYPASS: Watch for workers and delays as workers continue a $33 million project to build a 2-mile, four-lane highway west of downtown Algonquin to relieve congestion on Route 31.
Watch for workers and lane closures along Route 31 and Main Street.
Huntington Drive will remain closed between Circle Drive and South Main Street through next summer. A detour to Edgewood Drive is posted.
• CHARLES J. MILLER ROAD: Work is ongoing to create another two-lane span over the Fox River and widen Miller Road to four lanes with dedicated turn lanes from Route 31 to River Road.
The first phase, which consists primarily of building the new span and improving the intersection of Miller and River roads, will cost about $12 million and is anticipated to be finished by the end of October, weather permitting.
• ROUTES 31 AND 176: The $10.18 million widening and modernizing of the intersection of Routes 31 and 176 is still slow going. You may want to find an alternate north-south route during peak travel hours.
• JOHNSBURG ROAD: Only westbound traffic is allowed to travel along the road from Chapel Hill Road to Cherokee Drive. Eastbound traffic is being rerouted through a Route 31, Route 120, Chapel Hill Road detour.
Expect minor traffic delays this week near Hamlin and Cherokee drives while new curbs are being poured.
• INTERSTATE 90 AND ROUTE 47: Be prepared for delays along Route 47 as work continues to create a full interchange. The completion date for the $69 million project is set for late fall.
• READ ALL ABOUT IT: You can sign up at NWHerald.com/newsletter to get a weekly email update on road projects throughout construction season. You also can find updates online at NWHerald.com/construction.
Sources: McHenry County Division of Transportation, Kane County Division of Transportation, Village of Algonquin, Village of Huntley, Illinois Department of Transportation, Illinois Toll Highway Authority.