We start this week’s Detour installment with progress on a bridge for all of you walkers, runners and bicyclists.
• PRAIRIE TRAIL: Word comes that the section of the Prairie Trail between Crystal Lake and Algonquin could be reopened by next month. It’s been closed so workers can replace a bridge over a small creek north of Meyer Drive.
• ROUTE 176: Ongoing road work has a small section of Route 176 between Woodstock and Marengo down to one lane. Watch for workers.
• INTERSTATE 90: Traffic shifts are scheduled through the month to put Interstate-90 traffic onto eastbound lanes so that work can begin next year on the westbound lanes.
Shifts are taking place at the Marengo Toll Plaza, a 5-mile stretch near Elgin and a 7-mile stretch near Belvidere.
The new lanes are part of a $2.2 billion rebuilding and widening project between Rockford and Elgin, the first phase of which is wrapping up this construction season. Westbound lanes will be widened next year, and the process will be repeated in 2015 and 2016 for I-90 between Elgin and Chicago.
• JOHNSBURG ROAD: Watch for workers as the project enters its final month. Work this week includes new traffic signals and light poles, new sidewalks and landscaping.
Only westbound traffic is allowed to travel along the road from Chapel Hill Road to Cherokee Drive. Eastbound traffic is being rerouted through a Route 31, Route 120, Chapel Hill Road detour.
• ALGONQUIN WESTERN BYPASS: Watch for workers and delays as workers continue a $33 million project to build a 2-mile, four-lane highway west of downtown Algonquin to relieve congestion on Route 31.
Watch for workers and lane closures along Route 31 and Main Street.
Huntington Drive will remain closed between Circle Drive and South Main Street through next summer. A detour to Edgewood Drive is posted.
• READ ALL ABOUT IT: You can sign up at NWHerald.com/newsletter to get a weekly email update on road projects throughout construction season. You also can find updates online at NWHerald.com/construction.
Sources: McHenry County Division of Transportation, Village of Algonquin, Illinois Department of Transportation, Illinois Toll Highway Authority, McHenry County Conservation District