Partly Cloudy
68°FPartly CloudyFull Forecast

Lakewood fire leaves home uninhabitable

Published: Tuesday, Dec. 17, 2013 4:43 p.m. CDT • Updated: Wednesday, Dec. 18, 2013 12:02 a.m. CDT
Caption
(Sarah Nader- snader@shawmedia.com)
Firefighters respond to a structure fire at 8930 Benoy Court in Lakewood on Tuesday, Dec. 17, 2013. Firefighters arrived to see smoke billowing from the front door of the residence, Woodstock Fire Rescue Capt. Brendan Parker said.

LAKEWOOD – A Lakewood family was displaced after a fire started in the kitchen of their two-story home on Tuesday.

Lakewood and Woodstock firefighters responded around 2 p.m. to a structure fire at 8930 Benoy Court in Lakewood. Firefighters arrived to see smoke billowing from the front door of the residence, Woodstock Fire Rescue Capt. Brendan Parker said.

Firefighters extinguished the fire within 10 minutes. It was contained to the kitchen, but heavy smoke left the home uninhabitable and caused an estimated $275,000 in property damage, Parker said.

A person inside the home escaped safely. No one was injured in the incident, Parker said.

Investigators determined that the fire was accidential, Parker said, adding that the kitchen was not being used for cooking before the fire started.

The two departments requested help after seeing dense smoke coming from the residence. Departments from Huntley, Crystal Lake, Cary, McHenry, Algonquin, Fox River Grove and Carpentersville responded.

– Stephen Di Benedetto

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Northwest Herald.

Reader Poll

How much of Thursday night's Bears game will you watch?
All of it
None of it
Three quarters
Two quarters
One quarter