Overcast
55°FOvercastFull Forecast

Harvard man admits sexual contact with young girl

Published: Monday, Dec. 23, 2013 4:59 p.m. CDT • Updated: Monday, Dec. 23, 2013 11:22 p.m. CDT

WOODSTOCK – A Harvard man once facing serious prison time on sex abuse charges pleaded guilty last week and was sentenced to three years in the Department of Corrections.

Isaias L. Hernandez-Bautista, 50, agreed to a plea deal in which he will serve the three years in prison on a Class 2 felony, with day-for-day credit. Remaining sexual abuse charges against him – including one that carried a possible jail sentence of up to 30 years in prison – were dismissed.

Assistant State’s Attorney Kate Lenhard said that Hernandez-Bautista, who has been in custody since his March 2012 arrest, forced a then 8-year-old girl to touch his genitals. Although he was not related to the victim, he did know her.

After his arrest, Hernandez-Bautista told police that he drank to the point of blacking out, didn’t recall the abuse and he could have confused the girl for his wife. He also said, “kids don’t lie,” Lenhard said.

The plea deal was accepted Dec. 19 by McHenry County Judge Sharon Prather.

A blow was dealt to his defense earlier this month, when prosecutors told the judge that a questionable Facebook post was nothing more than an Internet hack.

The post first was believed to be written by the girl’s father – who is not Hernandez-Bautista – and made admissions about molesting the girl. The defense sought to introduce the post at trial.

A McHenry County Sheriff’s Office investigation revealed the post was written by a third person, not by the girl’s father.

Hernandez-Bautista pleaded guilty to aggravated criminal sexual abuse.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Northwest Herald.

Reader Poll

After a quarter of the season, how would you grade the Bears?
A
B
C
D
F