McHENRY – The cold weather pushed the start date for the McHenry Public Library’s winter reading program back a day.
The Go for the Gold! winter reading program is for kids in kindergarten through eighth grade as well as adults.
Book logs can be picked up the library’s question desk, and participants can win prizes for reading. Final book logs are due by 9 p.m. Feb. 13.
Several library programs scheduled for this and next week still have openings.
Those interested can register at www.mchenrylibrary.org, stop by the library at 809 N. Front St. or call 815-385-0036.
The programs include:
• Lego Family Drop In: 3:30 to 5 p.m. Wednesday. Use provided Legos to build creations that will be displayed in the library.
• Potty Palooza: 10 to 11 a.m. Thursday. A event featuring songs and stories to get children ages 2 to 5 excited about using the potty.
• Anime and Manga Club: 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. Thursday. Enthusiasts gather to watch Japanese-style animation. For those in sixth grade to age 20.
• Page Turners Kid’s Book Group: 10 to 11 a.m. Saturday. Participants will discuss “Liar & Spy” by Rebecca Stead. A free copy of the book is available at the questions desk. For kids in fourth through eighth grade.
• Book Snoops Kid’s Book Group: 2 to 3 p.m. Saturday. This month’s activities will center on outer space. For kids in first through third grade.
• Free Movies @ Your Library: 1 to 3 p.m. Sunday. The library will show “Jobs,” a PG-13 film starring Ashton Kutcher that tells the story of Apple founder Steve Jobs. For those ages 18 and up.
• Contemporary Book Group: 7 to 8:30 p.m. Jan. 13. Participants will discuss “The Joy Luck Club” by Amy Tan. Copies of the book are available for checkout at the front desk. For those ages 18 and up. No registration needed.
• Storytime at Panera: 10 to 10:30 a.m. Jan. 15. Kids ages 3 to 6 will listen to stories, songs and fingerplays while having milk and cookies at Panera Bread, 1711 N. Richmond Road in McHenry. Parents or caregivers must remain in the restaurant during the program.