Overcast
74°FOvercastFull Forecast

Fire leaves Lakemoor house uninhabitable

Published: Friday, Feb. 7, 2014 10:20 p.m. CDT

LAKEMOOR – A family is displaced after a fire spread to their Lakemoor house from their attached garage, a fire official said.

The McHenry Township Fire Protection District responded at 5:24 p.m. Friday to 811 Southside Ave. after receiving a call from a passerby that the attached garage was burning with flames visible, Battalion Chief Mike Majercik said.

When the first unit arrived at the scene four minutes later, the garage was fully involved and the fire had spread to the house, he said.

The passerby had knocked on the door of the house and alerted the family to the fire, Majercik said. The family and their cats were able to get out with no injuries.

Because there are no hydrants in the area, water tankers had to be brought in, and the fire was brought under control in about 45 minutes, he said.

"The only difficulty that we had was it was very cold and there were no hydrants," Majercik said. "It was very icy around the scene. McHenry Township assisted by salting the roads. A couple of firefighters slipped, but no one was injured."

The house is uninhabitable, and damage is in excess of $100,000, he said. The family had a place to stay, and did not require housing assistance.

The fire appears to have started in the engine compartment of the homeowner's pickup truck, Majercik said. He had arrived home about 15 minutes before the fire was reported.

The McHenry Township Fire Protection District was assisted by the Wauconda Fire District, which brought a tanker. The fire departments that cover Hebron, Woodstock, Alqonquin, Richmond, Lake Villa and Fox Lake covered McHenry Township's district while it responded to the fire.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Northwest Herald.

Reader Poll

Would you or do you allow your kids to play football?
Yes
No