A Few Clouds
69°FA Few CloudsFull Forecast

Woodstock restaurant temporarily closed after Friday fire

Published: Friday, Feb. 21, 2014 7:33 p.m. CDT • Updated: Saturday, Feb. 22, 2014 12:36 p.m. CDT

WOODSTOCK – A minor fire at El Niagara Restaurant in Woodstock Friday will keep the business closed for a few days while repairs are made.

The Woodstock Fire/Rescue District responded to a structure fire at the restaurant at 118 First St. at 10:39 a.m. Friday, according to a news release from Capt. Brendan Parker. Restaurant employees were preparing food when they noticed smoke coming from the ceiling.

An employee used a fire extinguisher to knock down the fire before exiting, according to the release. Crews found a small fire in a wall that extended to the attic space above the kitchen. Fire crews had it under control within a few minutes and no major damage or injuries occurred.

The fire appears to have started from the heat of a nearby stove, according to the release. The restaurant should reopen in a few days.

–Northwest Herald

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Northwest Herald.

Reader Poll

Do you agree with the County Board's decision to turn away state funding that could have been used to help the uninsured?
Yes
No