Woodstock restaurant temporarily closed after Friday fire
WOODSTOCK – A minor fire at El Niagara Restaurant in Woodstock Friday will keep the business closed for a few days while repairs are made.
The Woodstock Fire/Rescue District responded to a structure fire at the restaurant at 118 First St. at 10:39 a.m. Friday, according to a news release from Capt. Brendan Parker. Restaurant employees were preparing food when they noticed smoke coming from the ceiling.
An employee used a fire extinguisher to knock down the fire before exiting, according to the release. Crews found a small fire in a wall that extended to the attic space above the kitchen. Fire crews had it under control within a few minutes and no major damage or injuries occurred.
The fire appears to have started from the heat of a nearby stove, according to the release. The restaurant should reopen in a few days.