McHENRY – Japanese manga, Dr. Seuss and the movie "Captain Phillips" are all on the McHenry Public Library's agenda as it heads into March.
• The library's anime and manga club is hosting a manga workshop 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. Thursday for those in grades 6 and up. The cut-off age for participation is 20.
• To celebrate Dr. Seuss' birthday, library patrons can vote for their favorite Dr. Seuss book March 1 to 8. Each child who votes will receive a prize.
• At the Reading "Fur" Fun event 10 to 11:45 a.m. Saturday, participants can read their favorite book to a licensed therapy dog. The dog owners will be present. Sign up for a time slot at the library's Questions Desk.
• Starting March 3, the library will have "Book MaDDnes" favorite books brackets available for pick-up at its Questions Desk for those in grades 3 to 8. Completed brackets are due by March 15. The top three brackets with the most correct picks through the five rounds, which end April 19, will win gift cards.
• A "MAGIC: The Gathering" tournament, for those 11 and up, will be held 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 4. Attendees will receive a foil card while supplies last and should bring their own deck. No registration required.
• The history book discussion group will take on "The Inventor and the Tycoon: A Gilded Age Murder and the Birth of Moving Pictures" by Edward Ball at its meeting 7:30 to 8:45 p.m. Thursday, March 6. Copies of the book are available at the Check-Out Desk. The group is for those 18 and up. No registration required.
• The Page Turners group will discuss "The Red Pyramid" by Rick Riordan and ancient Egypt at its meeting 10 to 11 a.m. Saturday, March 8. A free copy will be provided at registration. The group is for fourth- through eighth-graders.
• A free showing of "Captain Phillips," starring Tom Hanks, will be held from 1 to 3 p.m. Sunday, March 9. The event is for those 18 and up. Registration is not required.
For more information, go to www.mchenrylibrary.org or call the library at 815-385-0036. The library is located at 809 N. Front St.