JOHNSBURG – Home schooling, beekeeping and the history of fun foods are the topics of some upcoming programming at the Johnsburg Public Library.
• Beekeeping 101: 7 p.m. Wednesday. Larry Krengel of the Northern Illinois Beekeeper’s Association will discuss what it takes to set up a backyard colony, difficulties facing the world’s bee population and the role small-scale beekeepers can play.
• Improv! @ the Library: 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday. The Johnsburg High School improv team will perform skits and then teach attendees the basics of improvisation and what being funny is all about. This program is for sixth- through 12th-graders. Registration is not required.
• Fabulous Food Firsts: 6:30 p.m. March 13. Chef Alphonse Dente will discuss the firsts behind foods like popcorn, pizza, cheeseburgers and ice cream sundaes. This program is for ages 12 and up.
• DIY Movies: 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. March 14. As part of Teen Tech Week, attendees will learn how to create a video with their smartphone and show it on the library’s big screen. This program is for sixth- through 12th-graders.
• Getting Started with Seeds: 7 p.m. March 19. University of Illinois Extension Master Gardeners Bruce and Barb Harmell will discuss seed varieties and where to purchase them, when to start cool and warm weather crops and which seeds need to be started indoors versus outdoors.
• Spring Break Movies: The library will show two new releases on its large screen complete with free movie treats. The Disney hit “Frozen” will play at 1 p.m. March 24, and “Free Birds,” another animated feature that stars the voices of Owen Wilson, Woody Harrelson and Amy Poehler, will start at 1 p.m. March 28. Registration begins March 10.
• The State of Home Schooling with Rep. Randy Hultgren: 6:30 to 8 p.m. March 31. The congressman will host a meet and greet. He will discuss issues and legislation pertinent to home schooling and answer attendee questions. Registration is not required.
Advance registration is required for all programs unless otherwise noted. Registration is possible at the library’s website, www.johnsburglibrary.org, by calling 815-344-0077 or stopping by the library at 3000 N. Johnsburg Road.