Oliver pleads guilty, remaining charges dropped
WOODSTOCK – A man who last month was convicted of raping a woman he met on Craigslist, pleaded guilty to additional sex crime allegations against him.
Monday's plea will wrap up the remaining cases against Charles Oliver. Other victims came forward after the first sexual assault charges Woodstock police filed against him.
Oliver, 45, of Woodstock entered a blind guilty plea before McHenry County Judge Sharon Prather, meaning there was no agreement between attorneys on a possible sentence.
Jurors last month convicted Oliver of raping a woman who responded to an online sex ad. She agreed to sex for $200. Testimony during the week-long trial revealed the once at Oliver's home, he took her to his basement, threatened and beat her. Back upstairs, Oliver recorded the sexual encounter, evidence that was played for jurors.
The case he pleaded guilty to Monday was similar to the one presented at trial. He met a woman online, agreed to meet for sex in exchange for money, and raped her back at his home.
Between his conviction last month and guilty plea, Oliver faces between 20 and 93 years in prison. The two sentences will run consecutively and each be served at 85 percent.
After the judge explained Oliver his rights, she said: "Knowing all that, Mr. Oliver, do you still wish to plead guilty?"
"Yes I do, your honor," he responded.
In exchange for his guilty plea, all remaining charges in seven cases were dropped. Also part of the deal, prosecutors agreed not to bring any new sex charges against him based on evidence collected as part of these investigations, which began in January 2013.
In other words, Assistant State's Attorney Sharyl Eisenstein said there were photographs and videos of number of identified and unidentified woman found in Oliver's home, for which he won't be charged.
However, Eisenstein added that Oliver still can be charged with other criminal acts if new evidence comes to light.
He is scheduled to be sentenced May 8.