Overcast
69°FOvercastFull Forecast

Cary fire damages bait shop

Published: Sunday, May 4, 2014 8:45 p.m. CDT

CARY – Heat from a wood-burning stove ignited insulation in the attic of a Cary bait shop, causing a fire on the business' roof, fire officials said.

Just before 5 p.m. Sunday, the Cary Fire Protection District was called to Lake Julian Storage, 65 S. Northwest HIghway. Firefighters found the roof of the bait shop on fire, according to a release from the department.

The fire was extinguished within 10 minutes after crews arrived. In addition to the bait shop, Lake Julian Storage has several storage units and a pond open to fishing, the release said.

One firefigher was treated at the scene for a minor cut to the hand, but no civilians were hurt, although employees and patrons were in the building when the fire started, the release said.

The wood-burning stove was later determined to be the cause. Lake Julian closed for the remainder of the day, according to the release.

Fire departments from Algonquin-Lake in the Hills, Barrington, Countryside and Fox River Grove assisted. The departments are dispatched for any structure fire within Cary's jurisdiction.

Police closed Route 14 for about 45 minutes during the fire to allow firefighters access to a hydrant across the street, the release said. The Cary Police Department was assisted by Fox River Grove Police Departments and the McHenry County Sheriff's Office to divert traffic.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Northwest Herald.

Reader Poll

How many times will you visit a haunted attraction this fall?
One or two
Three or four
Five or six
Seven or more
Zero