Serving our communities and making them better places to live is our mission at the Northwest Herald.
We're not alone in that mission, however. Local businesses and our loyal readers also play an important role in our communities.
And each year, we allow our readers to select their favorite businesses in the Best of the Fox contest.
Through our online survey, readers had the opportunity to vote on everything from their favorite place to eat breakfast to their favorite festival to the best place for a haircut to their favorite local band.
Local band was a new category this year, as were favorite margarita, date night restaurant, place to take kids on a rainy day and hikes/trails. Also new this year are expanded online listings for the winners, which will be available all year and feature addresses, website links and social media links. In all, more than 170 categories were voted on and winners named.
Find the Best of the Fox winners closest to you. View Where can I find the 'Best of the Fox'? in a larger map
We held a reception for the winners on Thursday. There are many in the community that deserve a thank you for making that reception a success:
• Lakeside Legacy Arts Park hosted the event.
• Crystal Lake Rib House helped cater the event.
• Pablo's Mexican Restaurant helped cater.
• Joseph's Marketplace helped cater.
• Julie Ann's Frozen Custard supplied dessert.
• Conscious Cup Coffee Roasters provided coffee.
• Twisted Stem donated flowers.
• Shaw Video Works, a division of Shaw Media, which owns the Northwest Herald, produced the video that was shown during the reception. Northwest Herald photographers and Ruth Hauge Photography took pictures featured in this section.
Many take pride in our community, and highlighting readers' favorite businesses represents only one aspect of the quality of life in McHenry County. As you page through this Best of the Fox section, remember that the businesses listed and those who voted help make McHenry County great.
Perhaps you'll see your favorite business in the pages that follow. Maybe you'll find a business or two you haven't visited but now will. Businesses have loyal followers. And readers vote to let it be known how much they enjoy frequenting said businesses.
These are the best of the best according to Northwest Herald readers. We're pleased to present this year's Best of the Fox winners, and we look forward to doing it all again next year.
Congratulations to the winning businesses.
• Jason Schaumburg is editor of the Northwest Herald. Email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.